- Betsy Johnson served as a partisan Democrat in Salem for 20+ years and wrote the budget for the past decade.
- Tina Kotek spent 15 years in the legislature and was the longest serving House Speaker in Oregon history.
- Gerrymandered Oregon’s political boundaries, securing single party control in the legislature (SB 881, SB 882, 2021).
In Your Wallet
- Betsy Johnson & Tina Kotek doubled Oregon’s state budget in 10 years from $57.7 billion in 2011 to $112.8 billion in 2021 as the chair of Ways & Means and Speaker of the House (Oregon Legislative Fiscal Office).
- Tina & Betsy reduced Oregonians’ Kicker tax reimbursement (HB 2975, 2019).
- Joined Kate Brown to pass billions in new gas taxes, tolling, increase DMV fees and bicycle taxes (HB 2017, 2017).
- Tina & Betsy supported taxing your baby formula, diapers, prescription drugs, feminine hygiene products, and other essentials (SB 521, 2021 & HB 3446, 2019).
Soft on Crime
- Betsy voted against increasing the number of law enforcement officers (SB 211, 2021).
- Betsy opposed increasing law enforcement pay when responding to riots (SB 547, 2021).
- Tina & Betsy voted to release violent criminals (HB 3508, 2009).
- Betsy & Tina voted to ban any Oregon state officials, including law enforcement, from assisting federal immigration officials in the budget committee, and on the House Floor (HB 3265, 2021).
Anti-Business & Anti-Jobs
- Betsy & Tina passed the $2 billion CAT Tax raising prices on Oregon businesses and families (HB 3427, 2019).
- Tina & Betsy banned plastic bags in grocery stores (HB 2509, 2019).
- Opposed ending Kate Brown’s State of Emergency (SR 2 & HJR 18, 2021).
- Betsy & Tina voted to increase the corporate minimum tax (HB 3405, HB 2649, 2009).
- Together voted in favor of increasing Department of Agriculture and DEQ fees (HB 5003, HB 5018, 2019).
- Both voted to upload Kate Brown’s vaccine passport system (SB 872 & HB3407, 2021).
- Betsy & Tina voted against reopening schools (SB 867 & HB 3399, 2021).
- Tina & Betsy teamed up with Kate Brown to ensure Critical Race Theory is taught in kindergarten (HB 2845, 2017).
- Betsy & Tina voted to oppose school choice and charter schools (SB 659, 2021 & HB 2954 Minority Report, 2021).
Extreme on Abortion
- Betsy served on the Planned Parenthood Board of Directors and Tina is endorsed by Planned Parenthood.
- Both passed the Reproductive Health Equity Act requiring insurance companies to pay for abortions regardless of a patient’s gender or immigration status (SB 3391, 2017).
- Both blocked legislation that would require saving a baby born alive after a failed abortion (SB 586 & HB 2699, 2021).
- Betsy & Tina support raising the age to 21 to purchase firearms, expanding background checks, and red flag laws (Willamette Week, 6/8/22).
- Betsy would enforce a ban on “assault” rifles (KGW, 6/10/22).
- Betsy said she will convene a conversation to ban high-capacity magazines of over 10 rounds (KGW, 6/10/22).
- Tina Kotek passed the most extreme gun law in Oregon, criminalizing responsible gun owners (SB 554, 2021).
The following is Christine Drazan’s Roadmap for Oregon’s Future
For more info on ALL the candidates, please see our Candidates Corner